Monday, March 24, 2014

Meeting Val

On Friday, my mom and I had the opportunity to meet the director of the CCA program in Mérida, Valerie Grimsley. Val was on campus at DWU for the day, and my Spanish teacher arranged a meeting with her for me. Mom drove up to Mitchell so we could meet Val and get to know her a little bit. Val will be taking care of us while we are in Mexico; from meeting us at the airport when we arrive to bringing us back when we leave. She will arrange our homestays, oversee our orientation and transition into life in Mérida, plan all our excursions, and be available for help with any questions or problems.

It was so interesting to hear Val talk about life in Mérida and what the summer program is like. We got the opportunity to ask any questions we had, and we all got to know each other a little bit better. I even found out stuff about my mom that I had never known. How did this lady pull things out of Mom in 60 minutes that I never heard in 22 years? Obviously, I can learn more than Spanish from her while I am in Mexico!

After an hour flew by, we said goodbye and left. I think Mom felt better about letting her daughter traipse off to a foreign land, now that she knew someone would be looking out for her. I know I feel better knowing the person who will meet us at the airport and take care of us in Mérida. Now I am more excited than ever to get to Mexico. I am ready to leave tomorrow! But Mom says she has enough patience for both of us, so I will try to wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments or questions! I will do my best to respond.