Monday, June 2, 2014

Rain!

Driving home from Celestún, I had my first experience with "the bad weather" hanging over the Yucatan Peninsula last weekend and into this week. Lightning flashed and thunder cracked as we drove through a tropical downpour. We all dashed into the Central House to wait out the storm. I felt sorry for the eight students who had to walk to their homestays through the flooded streets. I was supposed to move into my homestay immediately after returning from Celestún, but Val said we would have to wait until the water receded enough to drive through. She said the street drains get clogged easily here. I watched incredulously as cars continued to splash through mini lakes of water, even though it was impossible to determine how deep they were. I took a few photos of the street next to the Central House, which, completely covered with water during the downpour, more closely resembled a small river.

The view from the stairway window...

...towards the Starbucks parking lot.

If you can see from this car splashing through it, the water really doesn't look that deep...

but you would never say that looking at this picture! The yellow curb visible in the foreground is eight inches high, and it is covered by water. I walked out to the gate after the rain had let up to take this picture...
 

...and this one. Look at the pickup driving through the water...this is why Val waited to take me and my luggage home in her little Volkswagon!
The rain let up a half hour after arriving home, and the eight other Language students left for their homes shortly thereafter. Val told me we would need to wait at least another hour for the water to go down, and suggested I eat supper with the Healthcare students. So I took a picture of my last meal in the Central House.

Tacos! The covered dish in the foreground holds corn tortillas, and the one at the other end of the table holds flour tortillas. The first dish here is a fresh salsa, the second is filled with a delicious guacamole, the large pan holds the meat, I think pork, and the third and fourth dishes have different sauces in them which I don't care for. The other small dish at the end of the table has white cheese in it. On the table were Jello cups and for dessert, small brownie cupcakes frosted with the ever-present, beloved Nutella.
 
After supper, I loaded my bags into Val's car and she drove me to my new home. I have settled in nicely, and I get along very well with my new host. I have yet to take pictures and post them, but I will try to do it soon! Hasta luego!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments or questions! I will do my best to respond.