Thursday, June 12, 2014

Salsa salsa

Thursday night is salsa night! When some of the students expressed an interest in learning to dance salsa, Val arranged classes for us. Shari comes every Thursday night from 8 to 9.

Last week, we had a double salsa night. Doña Claudina explained how they make the kinds of salsa that we eat here in the Central House, and then she handed out recipes. After her Power point presentation, we flocked into the dining room and taste tested all the different kinds of salsa. After dance class, we taste tested them again!

Here Claudina is explaining the different vegetables that go into the salsas.

Five different types! Red salsa, guacamole, garlic sauce, green salsa, pico de gallo, and super hot chile salsa. I know that is six, but technically guac doesn't count. Everyone here is crazy about guac. It is so much better than in the United States, because the avocados are fresh. Bonus: besides being delicious, it is good for you!
Salsa class is held outside in the palapa. Despite the three big fans and the cooler night temperatures, everyone is sweating by the end of the night!
Shari working with Bailey

Katie and Nicole

Regan and Buck (center front)
Lauren and Eric (center back)

Everyone taking a break

Eric and Bailey
There were only five guys, so the girls have to take turns dancing the guy's part. I don't have pictures from the second night of dance class, because I was waiting for the doctor to call me back! The third dance class starts in twenty minutes, but I am going to stay right here on my comfy bed and share my day at Uxmal. Check back soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments or questions! I will do my best to respond.